Not on display
- Randolph Schwabe 1885–1948
- Watercolour on paper
- Support: 565 × 387 mm
- Purchased 1942
N05371 THE RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY, OXFORD 1942
Inscr. ‘R. Schwabe Oxford 1942’ b.r.
Watercolour, 22 1/4×15 1/4 (56×38).
Purchased from the artist (Knapping Fund) 1942.
Exh: Arts Council, London and tour, January–July 1951 (26).
The Observatory behind the Radcliffe Infirmary was built at the end of the eighteenth century with funds bequeathed by Dr John Radcliffe (1650–1714), physician to William III and Mary II. He left his library and most of his property to the University.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)