- John `Warwick’ Smith 1749–1831
- Part of
- Album of Views in Italy
- Graphite and watercolour on paper
- Support: 219 × 317 mm
- Purchased as part of the Oppé Collection with assistance from the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund 1996
Technique and condition
The image is painted in watercolour applied over a pencil under-drawing on heavy, laid paper. Imperfections in the pulp give the support a slightly uneven surface. A flap of skinned paper is contemporary with the work, as are the wrinkles noticeable on the recto, which may be due to a thinner paper being adhered to the paper before use. Uneven sizing, or a breakdown in the size may have caused the mottled effect of the watercolour, which is apparent in the sky. The work is in good condition.
On acquisition the work was removed from its four-ply window mount, and the white paper tape and residue adhesive removed. The recto margins of the artist's mount were gently surface cleaned. It was pressed before being re-hinged into a triple mount of white museum board.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- building - non-specific(3,172)