- John `Warwick’ Smith 1749–1831
- Part of
- Album of Views in Italy
- Graphite and watercolour on paper
- Support: 219 x 320 mm
- Purchased as part of the Oppé Collection with assistance from the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund 1996
Technique and condition
The image is painted in watercolour applied over a pencil underdrawing with some details accented in pencil overdrawing on a heavy, laid paper. Imperfections in the pulp give the support a slightly uneven surface. Wrinkles noticeable on the recto, which may be due to a thinner paper being adhered to the heavier paper before use, are contemporary with the work. Uneven sizing, or a breakdown in the size may have caused the mottled effect of the watercolour, which is apparent in the upper half of the sheet. The work is in good condition.
On acquisition the work was removed from its four-ply window mount, and the white paper tape and residue adhesive removed. The recto margins of the artist's mount were gently surface cleaned. It was pressed before being re-hinged into a triple mount of white museum board.
- townscapes / man-made features(22,284)
- building - non-specific(3,207)