- Philip Wilson Steer 1860–1942
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 689 x 921 mm
- Bequeathed by Sir Hugh Walpole 1941
N05290 NUTTING 1905
Inscr. ‘P. W. Steer 1905’ b.l.
Canvas, 27 1/8×36 5/8 (69×92).
Bequeathed by Sir Hugh Walpole 1941.
Coll: Lawrence Alexander Harrison by 1929; with Colnaghi, March 1937; Sir Hugh Walpole by May 1937.
Exh: Tate Gallery, April–July 1929 (115); Hugh Walpole's Collection, French Gallery, May–June 1937 (28).
Lit: MacColl, 1945, p.207.
Painted at Chepstow, the picture shows a broad stretch of the River Wye seen from the top of one of the high wooded slopes overlooking the river valley. A watercolour study for this painting was also shown in the Walpole Collection exhibition of 1937 (7).
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II