The drawing continues across folio 81 recto opposite (D14637; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 77), looking south. The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Ancona’): ‘Panorama from a spot just East of the apse of the Cathedral’.1 The Cathedral of San Ciriaco and its campanile are seen on the other page; here the view is east along the cliffs to Monte Cardeto, now the setting for a redundant Victorian lighthouse.
In the middle distance is the Baroque church of San Gregorio Illuminatore, which has since lost its elaborate spire, in front of which sits a man with a telescope, apparently with a reclining companion; they are perhaps sailors on shore leave from the port on the other side of the headland. Today the view is framed by trees in the cathedral’s car park.