This drawing continues a little way onto folio 70 verso opposite (D14616; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 66a), where the north side of the harbour is seen. The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Ancona’): ‘from the Banchina looking North West’.1 While the Banchina viewpoint (literally ‘quay’ or ‘wharf’) is correct, looking along what is now the Via XXIX Settembre (flanked to the left by railway lines and lorry parks), the direction is essentially northwards, tending to the north-north-east here. On the left is the outline of the Cathedral of San Ciriaco, with the dome of the church of Santi Pellegrino e Teresa to its right.
The sharp creases towards the bottom left appear to be a minor manufacturing fault.