The drawing continues across folio 86 recto opposite (D14647; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 82). The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Ancona’): ‘from the heights near the Citadel’.1 The viewpoint is the Campo Trincerato area east of the fortress, although later trees and buildings make placing the exact spot difficult; on this page the view is north-west past the elaborate campanile (since reduced to a stump) of the former church of San Francesco ad Alto.
To the left of the church is the outline of the distant lighthouse which formerly stood on the pier along the north side of the port, seen continuing to the right of the tower with the Arch of Trajan towards the gutter. Beyond and below San Francesco ad Alto, a zigzag indicates the spiralling top of the campanile of the church of the Blessed Sacrament (Santissimo Sacramento).