The Turner scholar C.F. Bell queried Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry ‘Ancona’ with a question mark, and crossed out Finberg’s curly bracket (usually an indication of a continuous view) linking this page with folio 84 verso opposite (D14644; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 80a);1 the two drawings are indeed separate, albeit showing different aspects of Ancona from similar viewpoints, along the cliffs south-west of the Cathedral near where the redundant Victorian lighthouse now stands.
Here the view is south-south-west over the city, framed by the campanile of San Francesco alle Scale, since restored in plainer style without a cupola, on the right. Towards the top centre is the former church of San Francesco ad Alto; its tower has subsequently lost its upper stages. Beyond rises the Cittadella, now heavily wooded.