Turner’s drawing here shows the interior of Beverley Minster with the choir seen from the north-east lesser transept. Visible between piers is the elaborate Gothic stonework of the mid-fourteenth-century tomb that Henry, Lord Percy of Alnwick built, probably to commemorate his wife Eleanor, in the North Choir aisle, adjoining the Percy Screen in the Choir; the tomb is described by Nikolaus Pevsner as ‘the most splendid of all British Dec[orated] Funerary monuments’.1 Lady Eleanor Percy died in 1328, and the tomb cannot be earlier than 1339. Other drawings of Beverley are in the North of England sketchbook (Tate D00989, D01002; Turner Bequest XXXIV 79, 91), and on the verso of this sheet (D40253).
Nikolaus Pevsner, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth 1972, p.175.
The sheet has been folded vertically down the centre. It is one of a sequence of sixteen Yorkshire and other subjects included in the present subsection which were executed on uniform sheets of paper, as discussed and listed in the Introduction.