The subject was identified as ‘Bridgenorth’ (sic) by A.J. Finberg (died 1939) and the watercolour and Turner scholar C.F. Bell (died 1966) in undated manuscript notes in copies of Finberg’s 1909 Inventory.1 The drawing, inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, is continued across folio 81 recto opposite (D22299; Turner Bequest CCXXXIX 80). On the present page St Leonard’s Church is seen to the north-west above Bridgnorth’s bridge. The uprights at the lower left are probably slight indications of masts.
A.J. Finberg, undated MS notes in a copy of Finberg 1909, Tate Britain Prints and Drawings Room, vol.II, p.736; C.F. Bell, undated MS notes in another copy at the same location, vol.II, p.736; confirmed by Ian Warrell in notes from 1993 and later in Tate catalogue files.