The subject was identified as ‘Bridgenorth’ (sic) rather than Shrewsbury (as suggested in Finberg’s 1909 Inventory) by Finberg himself (died 1939) and the watercolour and Turner scholar C.F. Bell (died 1966) in undated manuscript notes in copies of the Inventory.1 The view is across the River Severn in the vicinity of Bandon Lane, looking west to the tower of Bridgnorth’s St Leonard’s Church, and south-west to the dome of St Mary Magdalene’s. Apart from a row of trees hiding some of the buildings on the opposite bank, the view remains much the same; it is continued almost half-way across folio 12 recto opposite (D22171). There is a similar view, focusing of St Leonard’s Church, on folio 75 recto (D22287; Turner Bequest CCXXXIX 74).
For other views of Bridgnorth, see under folio 1 recto (D22151).
A.J. Finberg, undated MS notes in a copy of Finberg 1909, Tate Britain Prints and Drawings Room, vol.II, p.733; C.F. Bell, undated MS notes in another copy at the same location, vol.II, p.733.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)