Joseph Mallord William Turner

Canterbury Cathedral to the West from St Martin’s Church

c.1830

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 76 × 98 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D35770
Turner Bequest CCCLXIII 7 a

Catalogue entry

Inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, the drawing continues across folio 8 recto opposite (D35771). The viewpoint is north-east of St Martin’s Church (seen on the other page), looking west to Canterbury Cathedral from what is now the Querns Road area north of St Martin’s Hill. The modern building at the bottom left here is Canterbury Prison, with the towers of St Augustine’s Monastery beyond. A separate study of the landscape beyond appears to the above the horizon. There is a less detailed reprise of the whole view on folio 8 verso (D35772). Finberg wrongly described the view as ‘from Dane John’,1 which lies south-west of the Cathedral.
For other drawings of Canterbury in this sketchbook and elsewhere, see under folio 3 recto (D35791).

Matthew Imms
September 2016

1
Finberg 1909, II, p.1177.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like