This is not, as Finberg conjectured, a view a Sandwich (see under folio 6 recto; D35767),1 but rather of the village of Sturry on the River Great Stour, along the main road to Margate (see under folio 10 verso; D35776) about three miles north-east of Canterbury (see under folio 3 recto; D35761). Inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, St Nicholas’s Church is seen to the south-west down Milner Lane from beside a large mill which does not survive by the millpond bridge, with the imposing red-brick Tudor arch over the lane in the middle distance. There is a view in this direction from the church on folios 9 verso–10 recto (D35774–D34775).
The view is disrupted on the left by dark tree trunks and a distant church spire overlapping with the mill, in a continuation of one of the prospect possibly showing Canterbury on folio 12 recto opposite (D35775).
See Finberg 1909, II, p.1177.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)