Not on display
The two drawings here were made with the page turned horizontally, one above the other. The upper is centred on the slender lighthouse (since replaced) near the entrance to Ostend’s harbour channel. Below, a sailing boat is shown manoeuvring off the foreshore, with spires and windmills outlined beyond.
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll have suggested this page and a few others ‘contain features which have some connection’ with the oil seascape Ostend Turner exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1844 (Neue Pinakothek, Munich),1 ‘although they are in so summary a shorthand style that it is difficult to be certain of a direct relationship.’2 See folio 6 recto (D30470) for one possible source. For numerous other Ostend views on adjacent pages, marking the end of Turner’s 1840 tour, see under folio 1 recto (D30460).