Not on display
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally, showing the lighthouse (since replaced) overlooking the harbour channel north-east of Ostend, seen in the distance with the spire of the old St Peter’s Church (the ‘Peperbusse’) and a windmill. Turner ran out of space at the top of the slender tower, drawing a separate detail of its lantern to the left. The sketch at the top right may be a continuation to the right, showing the old east pier. The numbers ‘2’ and ‘3’ are in sequence with a ‘1’ on the recto (D30466).
Niamh Mac Nally has noted this page in relation to a watercolour now known as Ostend Harbour (National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin),1 which shows the lighthouse and a nearby windmill against a sunset sky.2 For other watercolours and the numerous Ostend views on adjacent pages of this sketchbook, marking the end of Turner’s 1840 tour, see under folio 1 recto (D30460).3