‘Connel Ferry’, inscribed by Turner on this page, is a village on the southern shore of Loch Etive where the loch narrows towards Loch Lorne (see folio 95 verso; D26929). It is known for the rapids that occur on the loch, called the Falls of Lora by Ossian, which is probably what interested Turner about the site. He may have been alerted to this by The Steamboat Companion, a copy of which he is thought to have consulted.1 The view is from a headland just to the west of Connel Ferry (see folio 81 verso; D26901) and looks east along the loch to the rapids, with the mountains of Beinn Mheadhonach and Beinn Duirinnis on the left and Ben Cruachan on the right.
Sketches looking north and west on folio 84 verso (D26907) were made from around this point where Turner caught his first glimpse of Dunstaffnage Castle.
James Lumsden and Son, Lumsden and Son’s Steamboat Companion; or Stranger’s Guide to the Western Isles and Highlands of Scotland, Glasgow 1839, p.130; quoted in Wallace-Hadrill and Carolan 1991, p.23.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- Argyll and Bute(418)