Joseph Mallord William Turner

Dumfries and Lincluden Abbey

1831

Not on display
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 187 x 114 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D25870
Turner Bequest CCLXVI 55 a

Catalogue entry

The two sketches on this page are of the town of Dumfries and Lincluden Abbey (which is just to the north of the town). With the sketchbook turned to the right the sketch at the top of the page probably shows the ruins of the nave of Lincluden Collegiate Church. To its left are three architectural details: a narrow niche, a carved square shield, and another shield with an inscription transcribed above it.
Across the centre of the page is a sketch of bridges over the River Nith at Dumfries. The view is from the north and shows the bridge that now carries the A780 road with Devorgilla Bridge behind it. There is a windmill at the right and at the left are three towers which are, from left to right, Greyfriars Kirk, Midsteeple and St Michael’s Church.
There is another view from the opposite side on the two bridges on folio 56 (D25871). That sketch continues slightly onto the bottom of the present page.

Thomas Ardill
September 2009

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like