The north-west front of East Cowes Castle is shown here from the terrace, the first clear view visitors would have had on approaching the house along its wooded driveway from the north (see Tate D20810, D20811 and D20845; Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 7, 8, 42). On the ground floor to the left was the dining room, with the bay-windowed drawing room and the lower range of the conservatory towards the right. Compare the corresponding view of this front from the west (D20806; CCXXVII a 3).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably during the same visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
- Isle of Wight(261)