East Cowes Castle is shown to the west, with the square tower at the eastern corner of the main block on the left, all but eclipsing the taller octagonal tower beyond. Below to the right is the entrance porch. Compare the 1815 watercolour by John Buckler (1770–1851) in the British Museum, London; William Daniell’s 1823 engraving Mr Nash’s Castle (Tate impression: T02970). Tate D24864 (Turner Bequest CCLX 28) shows a similar aspect.
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.