The view is through trees south-west of East Cowes Castle; the white towers and the arcade of the conservatory extending from the western corner of the building can be made out through the branches towards the top right. What seems to be the southernmost of the two ponds marked on that side on early Ordnance Survey maps is in the left foreground, while the other pond may be shown in Tate D20814 (Turner Bequest CCXVII a 11).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
Blank; ink has bled through from the denser areas on the recto and there is also extensive ink offsetting, presumably from another drawing in this East Cowes sequence.
- Isle of Wight(261)