This slight drawing is not mentioned in Finberg’s 1909 Inventory;1 it is a variation of the more developed subject on the recto (D20809; Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 6). These are among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
See A.J. Finberg, A Complete Inventory of the Drawings of the Turner Bequest, London 1909, vol.II, p.700.
- Isle of Wight(261)