The view is to the north-west, with East Cowes Castle on the crest to the right and Cowes across the River Medina below, and the tower of St Mary’s Church, Cowes, designed by Turner’s Isle of Wight host John Nash,1 on the skyline to the left. There is possibly the suggestion of a group of figures in the left foreground. For similar views, see under Tate D20804 (Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 1).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
See ‘About the Building’, Welcome to St Mary the Virgin Church, Cowes, accessed 15 December 2014, http://www
.stmaryschurchcowes. .org .uk /about%20the%20building .html
The bottom edge of this sheet is particularly irregular.