This view of East Cowes Castle is from the south, with the towers of the main house above the arcaded conservatories to the left, and what appears to be the tower of the ‘garden room’ on the near side of the formal lawn given exaggerated prominence on the right. Compare Tate D20812 (Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 9).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection. As in many instances, there are figures here among the foliage in the foreground.
- Isle of Wight(261)