The drawing is continued on folio 25 recto opposite (D01724; Turner Bequest XLII 49). Finberg pointed out that the inscribed ‘E’ in the lower left corner probably refers to Ewenny Priory,1 which Turner had already drawn on his first tour of South Wales; see the Smaller South Wales book (Tate D00472; Turner Bequest XXV 11) and the watercolour exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1797 (National Museum Wales, Cardiff).2
Both those drawings show the interior of the priory, which Turner sketches again in this book, on folios 27 verso and 29 verso–30 recto (D01729, D01733–D01734; Turner Bequest XLII 54, 58–59). The drawing of the interior on D01729 is also inscribed ‘E’. If this identification is correct, the distant estuary here should be that of the River Ogmore, but there are no hills of the size indicated in Turner’s sketch between Ewenny and the sea.