Not on display
David Wallace-Hadrill’s first suggestion that this sketch depicts a view up the Cromarty Firth towards Cromarty, with North Sutor in the distance and Cromarty lighthouse at the left,1 can be ruled out by the fact that the lighthouse was not built until 1846. However, his second suggestion of Fort George is more likely.2 Therefore this may be a view from Rosemarkie, with the bay to the north of Chanonry Point in the foreground and Fort George in the distance at the left. There is a similar view on the reverse of this page (folio 32 verso; D27093), though from above the village of Rosemarkie. At the top right of the page is a sketch of houses, probably at Rosemarkie.