The bridge was constructed in conjunction with the twelfth-century St Bartholomew’s Hospital, which had been rebuilt a few years before Turner’s visit by a local architect, William Price; the old bridge was replaced in 1816 with one by Robert Smirke (since demolished).
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally.
Blank; inscribed: ‘5’; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.
- periods and styles(5,203)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- River Severn(37)