With the sketchbook turned to the left is a view of Goldielands Tower near Hawick from the north, with Martin’s Bridge in the foreground as in folio 87 verso (D25915). Turner repeated the tower in a little sketch to the bottom left of the main sketch, and again in a more detailed sketch beneath this. In this sketch it is possible to see the lower building that was attached at the north face and the roof of another building to the north. Both of these can clearly be seen in an etching of Goldieland’s Castle by T. Vivares, published by S. Hooper in 1706 (private collection).
- River Teviot(10)