Drawn in connection with Turner’s lectures as Professor of Perspective at the Royal Academy, these steeples belong to buildings in London: from left to right, St Luke’s Church, Old Street, by John James and Nicholas Hawksmoor, the former Royal College of Physicians, Warwick Lane and the churches of St Magnus the Martyr, Lower Thames Street, and St Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside, both by Christopher Wren.
Turner considers various architectural elements when discussing ‘geometric forms of architecture in the province of the geometric laws of perspective’1 and refers to Bow Church and St. Magnus in a manuscript used for lecturing sometime around 1818.2 An unidentified press report of his lecture on 4 January 1819 records that he ‘touched a little on the principles of architecture and introduced some fine drawings of the Royal College of Physicians in Warwick Lane ... and other public buildings in the metropolis’.3
Turner, ‘Royal Academy Lectures’, circa 1807–38, Department of Western Manuscripts, British Library, London, ADD MS 46151 T folio 14 verso.
Turner, ‘Royal Academy Lectures’, circa 1807–38, Department of Western Manuscripts, British Library, London, ADD MS 46151 T folios 16, 19.
Cited by Judy Egerton [and Clifford Ellis], ‘JMWT PP’: A Selection of Drawings Made by Turner to Illustrate his Royal Academy Lectures as Professor of Perspective, exhibition catalogue, Tate Gallery, London 1980, p. under no.12.
Blank, save for an inscription by an unknown hand in pencil ‘135’ bottom left
Supported by The Samuel H. Kress Foundation