As in the previous folio (Tate D28483; Turner Bequest CCXC 67) this view of the Cathedral of St Martin was taken from Mainz’s market square. Turner depicts the east chancel, the oldest part of the cathedral, which was partly destroyed in 1793 during the bombardment of Mainz and rebuilt in the early nineteenth century.1 There is another view of St Martin’s from the north-east on the folio opposite (Tate D28485; Turner Bequest CCXC 68).
‘St Martin’s Cathedral’, Landeshauptstadt Mainz, http://www
.mainz, accessed 26 July 2013. .de /WGAPublisher /online /html /default /mkuz -5v9eue .en .html