From the south bank of the Tweed opposite Peebles, this sketch looks north-east along the river, with the Tweed Bridge and the old Parish Church. Further along the river at the left of the sketch is the tower of Neidpath Castle, which lies about a mile to the east.
The church shown in this sketch no longer stands, having been rebuilt in 1887. The tower appears again on folio 4 verso (D26102) alongside the ruins of nearby Cross Kirk. A small sketch at the bottom right of folio 9 verso (D26112) depicts a view of Peebles Bridge and the Parish Church from Neidpath Castle to the west.
This page falls in the middle of a series of sketches of nearby Neidpath Castle; see folio 5 (D26103) for references. Turner presumably visited the castle on a short excursion from Peebles, and probably made the current sketch on his return using a page that he had inadvertently left blank.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- River Tweed(107)