This sketch depicts a view looking west down the river valley to the north of Tivoli. At the bottom of the composition is the Ponte dell’Acquoria (Bridge of the Golden Water), a Roman crossing which carried the ancient Via Tiburtina across the River Aniene. As Turner’s sketch shows, the bridge was comprised of a single surviving stone arch with a temporary wooden structure crossing the remaining piers.1 The area is now dominated by an electrical power plant.
Compare a print by Johann Christian Reinhart (1761–1847), Ponte Acquoreo a Tivoli, 1798, see: http://www
.galerie, accessed February 2010. -fach .de /produkt /2009_96 /kd12796 .html