This sketch depicts part of panoramic view of Tivoli from the river valley to the north. Turner’s viewpoint appears to be a position on the road leading down the hill from the so-called Tempio della Tosse towards the river below. The drawing continues on the opposite sheet of the double-page spread, see folio 45 verso (D15011), but visible on this side is the winding course of the river and the surrounding Tiburtine hills. In the bottom left-hand corner is the Ponte dell’Acquoria (Bridge of the Golden Water), a Roman crossing which carried the ancient Via Tiburtina over the River Aniene. As Turner’s sketch shows, the bridge was comprised of a single surviving stone arch with a temporary wooden structure crossing the remaining piers.1 The area is now dominated by an electrical power plant.
Compare a print by Johann Christian Reinhart (1761–1847), Ponte Acquoreo a Tivoli, 1798, see: http://www
.galerie, accessed February 2010. -fach .de /produkt /2009_96 /kd12796 .html
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Aniene(47)