Drawn with the page turned horizontally, the West Front of Ripon Cathedral is visible in schematic outline in the background, at the end of the street. The Minster became the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Ripon in 1836. Turner scholar David Hill points out that Turner here records a very simple archway leading from Kirkgate into the Cathedral precinct, no longer extant. Other views made at Ripon on this tour are in the North of England sketchbook (Tate D00925–D00927; Turner Bequest XXXIV 19–21) and on loose sheets, Tate D01098 and D01099 (Turner Bequest XXXVI D, E).
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram; inscribed by Finberg ‘141.8’.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,601)
- Yorkshire, North(770)