Not on display
Continued from folio 38 verso (D13524) is a drawing of Roslin Castle, showing the woody banks of the glen to the right of the castle. The inscription ‘stones’ refers to the pebbly bank of the North Esk which runs through Roslin Glen below the castle. With the book turned to the right is another sketch of the castle again showing the descent from the castle to the glen with the large boulders that are included in Turner’s watercolour, Roslin Castle, circa 1820 (Indianapolis Museum of Art).1 Beyond the castle to the right can be seen the Pentland Hills. The sketch on folio 40 (D13527) combines the two views.
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.426 no.1065.