Drawn with the page turned horizontally, this is a two-part panorama from the Canale della Giudecca, just off or along the quays about half way along the island of the same name, a little east of the Rio del Ponte Lungo near the Redentore church (see under folios 27 recto and 32 verso; D31842, D31853). At the centre in the upper register are the domes of Santa Maria della Salute, with the outline of the campanile of San Marco (St Mark’s) aligned to the north-east beyond.
Lightly rendered features along the Riva degli Schiavoni across the Bacino continue from the top right to the left of the lower register, where the dome and campanile of the church of San Giorgio Maggiore on its island beyond the end of the Giudecca are seen, with what may be the north portico of the Redentore roughly indicated to the south-east in the foreground at the right. Folio 30 verso opposite (D31849) shows the main elements from further east.
Ian Warrell has noted that 1840 Giudecca studies such as those on folios 17 recto (D32823) and 30 verso–33 recto (D31849–D31854) here, and in the Venice; Passau to Würzburg sketchbook (Tate D31288–D31293; Turner Bequest CCCX 6a–9), show how Turner ‘really began to see that this previously neglected quarter offered original ways of seeing Venice’.1
Warrell 2003, pp.179, 264 note 4.
There is brown staining at the bottom right.