Not on display
Here Turner pictures a series of views between the Moselle towns of Wintrich and Mülheim. The central and lowermost sketches are of a town now named Brauneberg, originally called Dusemond. It is most likely ‘Dusemond’ which Turner has inscribed at the bottom right of the sheet, the inscription regrettably obscured by Finberg’s Turner Bequest inventory stamp.
Filzen, depicted in the central view, is a village now incorporated into Brauneberg. Turner has drawn a view of Filzen’s ancient convent, situated at the water’s edge and lightly hatched in pencil to a soft grey hue. The Kloster der Franziskanerinnen was founded in 1455 and, as the name suggests, was the home of an order of Franciscan nuns.1
Klöster und Stifte in Rheinland-Pfalz, Klosterlexikon, accessed 30 April 2014, http://www.klosterlexikon-rlp.de/mosel-saar/brauneberg-franziskanerinnenkloster-filzen.html.
- River Mosel(336)