Joseph Mallord William Turner

Sketch Map of the Moselle between the Starkenburg and Müden


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite and watercolour on paper
Support: 118 × 78 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCXVI 9

Catalogue entry

Here Turner has produced a sketch map of the Moselle, beginning at the outskirts of Traben-Trarbach and ending at Müden. The map is a continuation of that on the opposite folio (Tate D19567; Turner Bequest CCXVI 8a). The locations that this cataloguer has been able to transcribe are listed below, with an approximation of the real place names noted in brackets to the right of the transcription where necessary or possible. In this map, Turner has underlined Zell in red ink and indicated that the town is fortified by drawing a dotted semicircle in red ink adjacent to the river.1 Treis is also underlined.
From ‘Litzig’, an old district of Traben-Trarbach, the towns and villages listed on the map include:
‘Peterskirch’ (Peterskirche, Traben)
‘Hof Mu[...]y’ (‘Hof’ is the German for ‘farm’ or ‘court’)
‘Breindel’ (Breidel)
‘Pindoric’ (Pünderich)
‘Kempt’ (Kaimt)
‘Marienburgh’ (Marienburg Convent, Kaimt)
‘Keim’ (possibly also Kaimt)
‘Coray’ (Corray)
‘Merl’ | ‘B[...]y’ (possibly Bullay)
‘Aldegund’ (Sankt Aldegund)
‘Neff’ (Neef)
‘Brempt’ (Bremm)
‘Stuben’ (Kloster Stuben, Bremm)
‘Alt Petersberg’ (‘Old’ Petersberg, i.e. Petersberg Kapelle, Neef)
‘Le[...]’ (possibly the Lehmerbach, a rivulet)
‘Seenhaltz’ (Senhals)
‘Seenheim’ (Senheim)
‘Brielstein’ (possibly Breidern)
‘Polersdorf’ (Poltersdorf)
‘Elentz’ (Ellenz)
‘Frankel’ (Fankel)
‘Ebermach’ (possibly the Ebernacher Bach, a rivulet)
‘Seil’ (possibly Sehl)
Knockheim’ (see below)
‘Beltig’ (Bruttig)
‘Cochem’ (Cochem)
‘Falwig’ (Valwig)
‘Cloten’ | ‘Clotenburg’ (Klotten and Klottenburg)
‘Pomeron’ (Pommern)
‘?Tritz’ (Treis)
‘Herm Zillesburg’ (Hermitage of Zillesberg; see Tate D19564; Turner Bequest CCXVI 7)
‘Carden Cas’ (Karden and its castle, Burg Eltz)
Turner’s inscription of ‘Knockheim’, underlined partially in red ink, is most likely a reference to a note in Alois Schreiber’s guidebook, where the author writes that the Moselle town Cochem was ‘formerly called Kochenheim’.2

Alice Rylance-Watson
February 2014

Powell 1995, p.30 note 4 [p.77].
Alois Wilhelm Schreiber, The travellers’ guide down the Rhine: exhibiting the course of that river from Schaffhausen to Holland, and describing the Moselle from Coblentz to Treves with an account of the cities, towns, villages, prospects, etc, London 1825, p.178.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop