This page features sketches of the architecture and terrain in the environs of St Peter Port, Guernsey. In the upper half of the page, the town’s steep wooded slopes are seen from the south, punctuated by various buildings, including the cylindrical ‘Grecian Doric’ steeple of St James-the-Less.1 The buildings of St Peter Port recur several times within in this volume, as outlined in the entry for folio 30 recto (D23576; Turner Bequest CCLII 30).
The lower half of the page features a sketch of the medieval fortress of Castle Cornet, which guarded St Peter Port from an island in the middle of the bay. For the key entry on Castle Cornet, see folio 29 verso (D23575; Turner Bequest CCLII 29a).
J.T. Cochrane, A Guide to the Island of Guernsey, St Peter Port 1826, p.19.