Turner filled this page will multiple, disconnected views of the built-up hills that shelter the harbour of St Peter Port on the east coast of Guernsey. The location is identifiable by the presence of the neo-Gothic tower of Elizabeth College with its four corner pinnacles. The landmark, finished in 1829, recurs three times: towards the centre of the page’s left-hand edge, just to the right of the centre, and in the top right-hand corner.1
The town of St Peter Port is the subject of particular study in this volume and recurs on folios 53 (D23619; Turner Bequest CCLII 53); 54 verso (D23622; Turner Bequest CCLII 54a); 64 verso (D23642; Turner Bequest CCLII 64a); 74 verso (D23662; Turner Bequest CCLII 74a); 82 verso to 83 verso (D23678–D23680; Turner Bequest CCLII 82a–CCLII 83a); 86 verso (D23686; Turner Bequest CCLII 86a); and 88 recto (D23689; Turner Bequest CCLII 88).
J.E. Collins, The Stranger’s Guide to the Islands of Guernsey and Jersey, Guernsey 1833, p.79.