Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Abbey of St Bertin, St Omer


Not on display

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 113 × 190 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCXCIII 3

Catalogue entry

This is the main section of a two-part panorama recording the Abbey of St Bertin at St Omer from the east, with the ramparts in the foreground, noted in Turner’s inscription, continued to the left on the facing page (D29035; Turner Bequest CCXCIII 2a). The abbey is indicated relatively skeletally here, but is drawn in much greater detail from the same aspect on the following page (D29038; Turner Bequest CCXCIII 4).
The Abbey of St Bertin at St Omer was founded for a community of Benedictine monks in the seventh century, and achieved its maximum extent between the fourteenth and seventeenth centuries. It was dissolved during the French Revolution, and used as something of a stone quarry thereafter, but the tower recorded by Turner survived until 1947 when it collapsed as a result of damage sustained during the Second World War.

David Hill
June 2010

Read full Catalogue entry


You might like

In the shop