In these roughly rendered sketches, Turner records two views of Beilstein. The uppermost sketch shows the town’s ‘burgverlies’, or dungeons, and the Castle of Metternich atop the hill. The lower drawing depicts St Joseph’s Church at left and the ruins of the Burg Metternich at right. St Joseph’s was constructed as a Carmelite monastery in 1686 and a Baroque hall church was added a few years later in 1691.1 For further drawings of the Burg Metternich in this book see Tate D19784, D19788, D19789, D19790, D19792, D20166, D20167; Turner Bequest CCXVI 117, 119–120, 121, CCXIX 5, 6. For later drawings, see Tate D28301, D28320, D28321, D28364, D28366–D28368, D28527, D28528, D28537; Turner Bequest CCLXXXIX 6a, 15a, 16, CCXC 7a, 8a–9a, 86a, 87, 91a. See also the 1839 gouache and watercolour drawing: Tate D20239; Turner Bequest CCXXI F.
‘Karmeliterkloster Beilstein’, Klosterlexikon, accessed 14 May 2014, http://www
.klosterlexikon -rlp .de /mosel -saar /beilstein -karmeliterkloster .html
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- Burg Metternich(19)
- River Mosel(336)