The Ponte delle Guglia on the Cannaregio canal1 is seen from the north, along the Fondamenta Cannaregio. Beyond on the right, towards the entrance to the Grand Canal, are the campanile and dome of the church of San Geremia, beyond the Palazzo Labia. The dome is now obscured by a taller building (along with an intrusive communications mast) near the bridge, which is seen from the south in more elaborate detail and from the east on folios 10 recto and 11 recto respectively (D31295, D31297). The Grand Canal front of the church is shown on folio 11 verso opposite (D31298).
Above is a secondary view in the same direction, focusing on the view through to the Palazzo Marcello Toderini on the south side of the Grand Canal, obscured by the bridge in the main view and perhaps taken from the bridge itself for supplementary information.
This is the last of a short sequence of Cannaregio subjects (folios 9 verso–12 recto; D31296–D31299), after which Turner travelled south-east along the Grand Canal. As noted in the sketchbook’s Introduction, the Venice views on its early pages are intermingled with German sketches from his return journey.
See Finberg 1930, p.172.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)