Finberg later annotated his basic 1909 Inventory entry (‘Canal, with bridge’): ‘on the Cannaregio – the Ghetto’.1 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell marked another copy: ‘on the Canareggio [sic] – the Ghetto & Ponte tre Archi’.2 Turner had drawn the Ponte dei Tre Archi in his 1819 Milan to Venice sketchbook (Tate D14479; Turner Bequest CLXXV 86) and did so again in the 1840 Venice; Passau to Würzburg book (D31294; Turner Bequest CCCX 9a).
However, although the fundamental profile of the structure in this horizontal drawing is similar, the setting is much further south, in common with studies on adjacent pages, in the open waters of the Canale di San Marco. The view is north-east to the Ponte Veneta Marina, south of the Arsenale, with what is now Via Giuseppe Garibaldi receding beyond the buildings on the right along the Riva dei Sette Martiri.
The bridge is seen again in a slight study on folio 10 recto (D31809), under which related views are discussed. The stone façade of the structure features the winged lion of St Mark in high relief over the arch, flanked by dolphins at water level, as indicated in the present drawing. The verso (D31836) comprises somewhat disjointed views west along the canal to the Bacino, seen from about level with the bridge.