Finberg later annotated his 1909 Inventory entry (‘Views from Canal of St. Mark’s’): ‘S. Giorgio &c’.1 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell marked another copy: ‘Panoramas from a gondola’.2 There are various, somewhat disjointed elements here, drawn with the page turned horizontally, from the Canale di San Marco about level with the Ponte della Veneta Marina (see the recto; D31835).
The upper of the two main views shows the prospect westwards towards the Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore and the church of that name on the left, with Santa Maria della Salute in the distance at the centre, and the campanile and domes of the Basilica of San Marco (St Mark’s) on the right. It is not clear how the waterfront detail above at the outer edge above relates to it.
Below the centre, St Mark’s is shown again at the left (complete with over-emphatic scaffolding around the spire), with the waterfront advancing along the Riva degli Schiavoni past the church of the Pietà at the centre, with the campanili of San Zaccaria to its left and Sant’Antonin to its right. Below is another detail of houses along the waterfront in the San Biagio neighbourhood.