Finberg later annotated his 1909 Inventory entry (‘Buildings’): ‘a Traghetto with awning up’.1 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell similarly marked another copy.2 With the page turned horizontally, the foreground shows an awning slung across a quayside, with rapid marks possibly indicating figures and small boats. Beyond to the left are what seem to be schematic renderings of the familiar outlines of San Giorgio Maggiore to the west across the Canale di San Marco, and the domes of Santa Maria della Salute further off beyond the Bacino. Above the awning at the centre appears to be the spire of the campanile of San Marco (St Mark’s).
Compare the more detailed views from this direction on folios 25 verso and 26 verso (D31839, D31841). The viewpoint in this case was presumably one of the sequence of broad quays running south-eastwards from the Riva degli Schiavoni in the neighbourhood of San Biagio south of the Arsenale. Compare two contemporary watercolour studies from this direction, both featuring striped awnings (Tate D32158–D32159; Turner Bequest CCCXVI 21, 22).