Not on display
Rather than the ‘Old University of Edinburgh’ as Finberg suggests, the dome of which was not built until 1886, here is a study made with the page turned to the right of the dome of St George’s Church in Charlotte Square in Edinburgh’s New Town district, built just four years before Turner saw it. The building is now known as the West Register House, and is home to part of the collection of the National Archives of Scotland.
The dome appears several times in the sketchbook, and is prominent in a view of the New Town from Stockbridge (folio 64; D13573). With the sketchbook turned to the left are several sketches of parts of buildings. At the right of the page (in is usual orientation) is the continuation of a sketch of several buildings from folio 61 (D13567).