Not on display
This very slight view is south-east across the Bacino to the west front of the church of San Giorgio Maggiore, on the island of the same name, flanked by its substantial campanile. The occasion may have been the trip around the Bacino and Canale di San Marco resulting in several small studies on folio 49 verso opposite and the verso of the present page (D14408, D14410). Finberg corrected the ‘Campanile of St. Mark’s, and San Giorgio’ of his 1909 Inventory1 with a less committed ‘S. Giorgio, etc.’ in 1930’s In Venice with Turner.2
A much more detailed drawing from a similar angle is on folio 66 verso (D14442). For other drawings made in the vicinity and an overview of Turner’s coverage of Venice, see the sketchbook’s Introduction.