This full-page sketch depicts the market place at Abbeville in Picardy, northern France. Turner visited Abbeville on 10 and 13 September 1824. At right, rising above the gabled rooftops, is the profile of St Vulfran’s Collegiate Church. Finberg and Andrew Wilton write that this sketch is related to Turner’s illustration of Abbeville for Scott’s Prose Works, published between 1834 and 1836 (see Tate impression T04763).1 That design was used as the title-vignette to volume twenty-eight (‘Tales of a Grandfather’) of the publication.
At bottom right Turner has inscribed a note which appears to read ‘St George’.
Finberg 1909, vol.II, p.677 and Wilton, 1979, p.434 no.113.