With the sketchbook turned upside town, here Turner has produced a study of the entrance to Rotterdam’s old Town Hall. The baroque frontage, which features a pediment supported by columns and a cupola, was installed in the early seventeenth century. The entrance was rebuilt in 1830 to face the Kaasmarkt (cheese market). At the turn of the century the old Town Hall was moved and replaced by a new purpose-built construction on the Coolsingel. See also Tate D32466; Turner Bequest CCCXXI 12.