The drawing continues across folio 8 verso opposite (D14503). Finberg subsequently annotated his 1909 Inventory entry (‘Looking along the Schiavoni, with bridge on right, near “Parochia de S. Giovanni in Bragora,” – “Ponte della Ca’ di Dio.”’): ‘from nr Garibaldi’s statue’.1 The Turner scholar C.F. Bell wrote in another copy: ‘Redentore l. Ponte della Cà di Dio r.’2
On this page the pedestrian Ponte Ca’ di Dio is seen from the Riva of the same name, looking west. The building immediately north-west of the bridge, at the corner of the Rio di Ca’ di Dio and the start of the Riva degli Schiavoni, remains much the same and now houses the Ristorante Carpaccio. In the distance towards the left are the waterfront arcades of the Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace), and the domes and faintly indicated campanile of St Mark’s. The format of the inscriptions at the bottom right suggests they were transcribed from local street signs.
For other drawings made in the vicinity, see the sketchbook’s Introduction.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)